The Petition Talking Points:
We the undersigned of Vernon County and surrounding communities hereby petition the Vernon County Board, the Viroqua Town Board and the Viroqua City Council to permanently refuse the wastewater from the hog slaughtering facility owned by Lynch Livestock, Inc. and located at E7342 Three Chimney Rd, Viroqua, WI.
* Potential well and groundwater contamination. (See Kewaunee County where nitrate and bacteria contaminate 1/3 of the wells and, more locally, the Towns of Holland and Onalaska.)
* Draining of aquifer at the rate of 30,000 gallons per day.
* Waste water treatment of 30,000 gallons per day.
* Potential increase of large hog raising operations in our county.
* Potential odors from manure spreading and pond/lagoon system for onsite wastewater treatment and/or pre-treatment.
(PIP states they have no intention currently to dig any type of lagoon/pond for wastewater processing or pre-treatment. All wastewater will be shipped).
* Labor force from outside our county with no affordable housing available.
* Community deterioration, e.g., Pine Valley Meats of Norwalk, Wisconsin.
* Pollution of area trout streams.
* Air quality affecting the Coon Prairie Bike Trail and park
* Potential decrease in value of real estate property.
What does a local hog farmer think about this? Listen to WDRT’s Citizens Speak Out segment.